Harlem

In my first assignment, I chose to walk the streets of Harlem and visualize which parts had been gentrified vs. which parts had been left without any investment.  After having our week 10 class on gentrification, I was able to find many comparisons pictures between  the pictures on the lecture slides and the pictures that I took of Harlem.  Similarities involving the integration of pricey restaurants and fashion stores right across the street from stores that cater much more to the urban community and are much more affordable for them.  Although Harlem is no longer the place I was used to seeing years ago, after finishing our lecture on gentrification, I can revert back to when I first explored Harlem for my first assignment and have a deeper understanding as to what exactly I was looking at.  The areas that have been taken over by young and affluent professionals not only include the areas that have been accompanied by expensive restaurants and fashion, but the apartments that have been renovated for their arrival.  It is obvious to see where exactly this integration has occurred being that the black and minority population has decreased in those same areas significantly and are now more racially diverse than ever.  Gentrification in Harlem has contributed the most to the transformation of a predominantly minority area turning into a much more racially segregated area in terms of housing.  Furthermore, after taking this class and learning about the intentions of land lords, real estate agents, and other city government bodies, I can now confirm that these instances of gentrification that have left so many people displaced all over the country, are in fact economically driven and that the number one priority of city government not to look out for the well being of their residents, but to raise their city’s economic value by any means necessary.

Assignment 7 - Urban at 2nd Glance, , ,