Reanalyzing Forest Hills Gardens and Corona

image (top) source: http://forgotten-ny.com/2005/12/corona-crown-of-queens/

image (bottom) source: http://newyork.seriouseats.com/2010/06/the-forest-hills-festival-of-the-arts-a-queen.html

In my post for assignment 1, although I described the neighborhoods in a vivid and detailed form, I didn’t really understand the true meaning behind how both neighborhoods came to be economically and racially classed. When I wrote, “…most of the people I see are of Caucasian and Jewish descent and is an example of white privilege as they have the financial stability and living resources to live in and possess the houses and neighborhoods of Forest Hill,” I initially didn’t expand on my explanation because I thought it was a given that most middle and high class White individuals are wealthy due to intergenerational reasons. But I now know that intergenerational aspects isn’t the only reason for their wealth and access to better resources. Through this urban studies class, I’ve learned that throughout history, the government, mainly the Republican party has had a large impact and bias towards White individuals. The racial and class division in both neighborhoods and housings reflect the racial tension and segregation that has took event in history. These racial policies include white flight and redlining in which race is a more major factor than class that targeted Black individuals in mortgage separation. Neighborhoods that were viewed as risky weren’t given access to FHA loans or financial assistance. Meanwhile, White individuals had large access to such loans, financial assistance, mortgage, and insurance because they weren’t seen as risky. This is seen through Forest Hills in which White individuals are able to live in such large and aesthetically pleasing houses. Even due to white flight, White individuals were able to move to the suburbs to avoid racial integration and the unsanitary environment. Racial covenant and zoning were also a large aspect in housing in which homes were sold to people of a specific race and certain neighborhood buildings were racially classified as ‘white buildings’ and ‘black buildings.’ Even to this day, housing for minorities is still a difficult process and even unaffordable. The government has enforced the Fair Housing Act of 1968 that legally banned racial discrimination regarding housing, racial steering, block busting, and redlining; however till this day, there is still a large lacking of racial integration as seen in Forest Hills and Corona. In my post, I even said “The government needs to empower these individuals living in these types of neighborhoods and take the chance to provide this city and other similar neighborhoods with community outreach and policies to better their resources.” But the government isn’t really doing anything to fully enforce this act and aid for equal housing, such as pursuing programs to analyze neighborhoods and communities. Also, low-income housing establishments from high-income neighborhoods are brought to neighborhoods where minorities and low-income are the majority. At the end of my post, I concluded “one can easily theorize that there aren’t enough living resources and a stable foundation for those living in Corona, the city where people are living in lesser standards and poor urbanization. Corona can be viewed as an example of this new urban segregation in which their privileges to housing is degraded and biased.

Assignment 1: http://understandingtheurban.qwriting.qc.cuny.edu/2017/02/09/the-empowered-and-the-overlooked/

Assignment 7 - Urban at 2nd Glance, , , ,